Where To Go


Kozak Plateau is a natural paradise where the highest quality pine nuts are grown. It is famous for its grapes and wine along with the pine nuts since the ancient times. In the region, there are hot springs remaining from the Roman Period and the Ancient Perperene City lies in this region as well. In the plateau where there are also picnic areas; nature and village tours, trekking and hunting activities are being organized as well. 


Historical Bergama Bridges ornamenting the Antique Selinus Brook as a necklac, were built in Roman Period. The bridges of which restoration was applied by Ottomans in various periods, are still in use.



The oldest and still standing examples of Bergama Houses belong to 18th century. There are different house types in Bergama. The traditional Turkish houses together with Greek stone houses form the curving neighbourhoods of Bergama standing side by side. Historical Bergama Houses have characteristic facade details such as plan types, features of doors-windows, eaves, chimneys, balconies, alcoves and most of them have been registered as cultural properties. All historical houses of Bergama are registered and under protection. 


Bergama Acropolis, as one of the most magnificent settlement areas of the Hellenistic Period dates back to BC. VII - VI centuries. Acropolis was the capital of the Pergamon Kingdom between BC 283-133. Pergamon Acropolis is one of the magnificent city centers of Hellenistic Period founded on terraces of Kale Hill with its temples, streets, social and commercial structures.

Great Altar, Dionysus Temple, Demeter Temple, Famous Pergamon Library containing 200 thousand, bundles of books, Theatre, Gymnasium, Royal Palaces, Trajan Temple, aqueducts, fountains, cisterns and arsenals are the most important structures constructed in Bergama Acropolis.


''The Place Where Death Is Forbidden To Enter and Testaments Are Not Opened"

The Asclepeion of Bergama, which is the largest medical centre of the archaic period, was constructed in the name of Asclepios, the god of healing and medicine, and remained as a famous treatment center until AD IV century.

The findings reveal that small surgical operations were also performed in Asclepeion along with the diets, hot and cold bathing and physical exercises, the three basic antic treatment components. Furthermore, patients were treated in this center with medicines, herbs, music, mud and sun bathing and also psychotherapy based on splash, inspiration and dream interpretations.

Asclepeion, which was constructed in a green country, use to be accessed from the Sacred Way (Via Tecta. a 1 km long street. Today, visitors of Asclepeion can see the well preserved ruins of the Library, Treatment Building, Theater, the Temple of Asclepios, Sacred Fountain, and Underground Passage (Cryptoporticos). The international psychotherapy conferences attended by specialists from many different regions of the world have been held in Asclepion since 1984.


​It's estimated that the minaret was built in XIV-XV centuries. Its mosque was demolished due to its ruined condition in 1930. The body of minaret was ornamented with purple, turquoise and greenish yellow glossed bricks. It is called Selcuklu (Seljuk) Minaret due its characteristics of ornamentation which shows mainly the Seljuk Art.



Producers village market has been established in 2015 to provide the citizens easier access to local and organic products. It’s seen that both the producers who make their own organic production and the consumers are glad for this market. 



Bergama Arasta taken its shape during 14th and 15th centuries, has hosted many different craftsmanship for centuries. The Arasta had been founded by gathering different guilds in the name of boot makers, shoe makers, linen drapers, saddlers and cereal dealers. The small shops of each guilds stands next to each other looking at the Çınarlı (Plane Tree) Squares of Arasta. Some different commercial structures such as covered bazaar and inn were added into Arasta during different times.

Most of the structures surviving until today belong to 19th century. The reason why there is no structure older than 19th century is the big fire in 1853. Façade restoration of the shops in Arasta was carried out by the Municipality in 2007- 2008.​


Serapis Temple is the most spectacular structure of the Ancient Pergamon located on the plain.  It was constructed under the reign of Hadrian (AD 117-138). According to cult and arts history data, the Red Hall was dedicated to the God of Egypt, "Serapis"  The Temple was converted into a basilica shaped church with three naves by inserting two lines of columns in the temple during the early Byzantine period in the middles of V century AD and then dedicated to Saint John. Thus, it became one of the seven churches of Christianity. Tower-shaped round structure (Rotunda), situated to the north of the Temple, has been used as a mosque ‘’Kurtuluş Mosque’’ since the Ottoman Period. There is a synagogue in the area of temple as well. Thus the Temple symbolizes the three Abrahamic religions along with the polytheistic archaic religions and it is of the utmost importance with respect to religious history.​


Mevlana Hacı Hekim Bath which was endowed to Hacı Hekim Mosque, was built in 1513. The bath is formed by two sections, one for women and the other for men. Its dimension is 22x30 m and it has 24 domes in total. Although it underwent various repairs from time to time, the complete renovation was performed in 2008 by the Regional Directorate of Foundations.​


The Great Mosque is the largest and oldest mosque among the Ottoman structures reaching to the present day in Bergama. The mihrab (a semi-circular niche in the wall of a mosque that indicates the kiblah) bearing the influences of the Seljuk art, has great and rich marble decorations. The construction inscription on the portal gate says that the mosque was built during the reign of Sultan Bayezid in 1398 to 1399. The handwriting on the stone şadırvan (a foundation used for ritual ablutions and usually located in the middle of a mosque courtyard) in its courtyard belongs to poet Aşkı Efendi of Bergama.


Bergama Museum opened on 30 October 1936, is the first Archaeological Excavation Museum of the Republic of Turkey. The museum building was designed following plan of the Great Altar. In 1979 the ethnography section was added in the museum as well. Most of the archaeological works belonging to various periods from the Early Bronze Age to the Byzantine Period were found in excavations carried out in Bergama and its surroundings. The striking examples among the collections of the museum are those belonging to Pergamum sculpture school, archaic findings from Pitane and Gryneion and Myrina terracotta which are found in the ancient settlements around the neighbourhoods. In the ethnography section, world-wide known Bergama carpets, rugs (Yuntdağ, Yağcıbedir, Kozak, and Bergama weavings), cloth weaving samples, hand works and other opuses are exhibited.


The biggest tumulus in Bergama and most likely it belongs to one of the Pergamon Kings. In ancient times this quite big and magnificent tumulus was welcoming the visitors by covering the Acropolis’ view. Encountering with the view of Acropolis after Yığma Tepe Tumulus, the visitors were very much impressed with this intentionally designed view of two hills side by side.

people had came across with this quite big and magnificent tumulus while coming to Pergamon. It was blocking the acropols’ top view in a way. But when visitors saw acropols’ view right after the tumulus, they were much more impressed. Moreover the tumulus is placed on a linear axis with the temple which was dedicated to Athena, the protector goddess of the city. 


Cleopatra social facilities serve the people with Cleopatra Cafe-Restaurant, aquapark, picnic area. In Cleopatra Cafe some special events like wedding, celebration, birthday, special occasions and dinner can be organized. Barbecue and tea-urn services are also available at picnic area.